The Hillsdale College Shotgun Team finished first overall at the Division III Association of College Unions International (ACUI) 49th Annual Collegiate Clay Target Championships in San Antonio, Texas. Held March 28 to April 2, the ACUI Championship hosted 828 participants from over 85 colleges throughout the country.
Hillsdale’s 10-person team posted a total score of 2,244. By comparison, this score is competitive with winning schools in the Division I National Championship whose teams have over 40 members.
The Chargers took first place in four of six events, taking home the top prize in the Five Stand, Sporting Clays, International Trap, and American Trap.
In the individual open standings, which combine all 850 shooters regardless of division, Junior Drew Lieske won the High Overall title. He set a new national record with his composite score of 531 targets out of 550. Senior Kie Kababik followed second in the overall with a 519, sophomore Matt Grunzweig finished fifth with 517, and senior Jordan Hintz in eighth with 515. All four shooters earned a position on the NRA Open All-American team, with Lieske occupying the first position on the team.
A full overview of the Chargers’ performance:
- Sporting Clays, Division 3 Team Champions
- 5-Stand, Division 3 Team Champions
- International Trap, Division 3 Team Champions
- American Trap, Division 3 Team Champions
- International Skeet, Division 3 Team Runner Up
- American Skeet, Division 3 Team Runner-Up
- Drew Lieske, Individual High-Overall, 5-Stand Individual 3rd
- Kie Kababik, Individual Runner-Up (Tied)
- Jordan Hintz, Combined American/International Trap Champion